I do not remember when Microsoft/Mojang began calling the PC version I’ve been playing for years the Java Edition, but that is the one I use with both my accounts. As I mentioned in the last post, I tried the Windows 10 Edition when it first came out, but was disappointed in several aspects of it, so have not even tried it since.
I took a couple of minutes to go back and check to see what Java Edition version of Minecraft I was playing when I last posted anything about Minecraft on this blog. It was version 1.13.1 Update Aquatic as best I can tell. There was one minor update of it to 1.13.2 before the next new version was released.
Much has happened with the various versions since then, each one with some unique new features. Because the Minecraft Fandom Wiki has a good deal of useful information, I will just make a few editorial comments under the listing of names and links of the releases rather than going into detailed descriptions.
- 1.14 through 1.14.4 Village & Pillage
- I found this mostly annoying. It took getting used to the village changes, especially the availability of crops. Before this update, all three basic crops (potatoes, carrots, wheat) were present in virtually every village. It also took a little time to learn to deal with the new hostile mobs.
- 1.15 through 1.15.2 Buzzy Bees
- This one is not terribly interesting. I rarely bother with honey, etc.
- 1.16 through 1.16.5 Nether Update
- This update apparently was long awaited by many gamers, I do not normally spend much time in the nether, so all I’ve done is a little exploration to see the new stuff.
The current version is 1.17.1 and I am playing it while I wait for the second release (1.18) of what is called Caves & Cliffs. It will probably be released late in the year.
So far, this version has been only mildly interesting. Many of the additions are not items I will use much and since I am more of a “dig-down” miner followed by systematic mining at level 11, I have not found many of the cave items that were added. I suppose while I wait for 1.18, I may try doing more cave exploration from surface cave openings to find and see more of the new sights.